Strength of Mind and Body


I first met Marty Mills my freshman year of high school. Needless to say I was VERY intimidated by his weight-room demeanor as well as his lifting prowess. Now graduated and running Cross-Country and Track for Butler University, I can safely affirm that I would not be competing on the D1 level without his patient coaching and instructing. I came into my freshman year barely able to bench-press a 45 pound bar, Mills worked closely with me, encouraging me to slowly build my strength and confidence in lifting. He is a phenomenal instructor in technical lifting and with his help, although I was never the strongest lifter in the room, my technique was flawless. I was able to out-lift other runners because of my confidence in the skills he taught me. As a runner, being physically strong comes second to having endurance for running; unlike many lifting instructors Mills recognizes this and provides personalized workout plans for runners that encouraged increasing and maintaining a high heart rate instead of building bulky muscles. He has been an amazing coach and the reasons I continue to return to the CGHS weight-room for summer workouts. Thanks Mills!

Shelbi Burnett – Butler University Cross Country & Track
All-State in Cross Country & Track