lifting for cross country/distance track


By Ryan Meyer
For distance runners people don't think that any kind of lifting is necessary, yet with Coach Mills' density circuts and strength and conditioning program I have been able to improve my times on the track. Before our cross country team began lifting as a part of our weekly workouts our times were slow and we were not very competitive on the course. After we began lifting our top 5 average dropped considerably and became the fastest in Center Grove history. The density workouts helped build our muscle endurance so we could have a stronger kick and beat out the competetion. Coach Mills helped improve not only my times on the track, but out teams as a whole. During the off season and the beginning of the track season we worked on strength lifts to build muscle and work on speed. Without doing any type of lifting I would not be the competitive runner I am today.